POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov reference, minimums and maximums for statements : Re: Pov reference, minimums and maximums for statements Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov reference, minimums and maximums for statements
From: Chuck Roberts
Date: 15 Sep 2000 10:14:07
Message: <39C22E9E.5D30624D@alleganisd.org>
Thank you for your valuable comments.

Warp wrote:

> Chuck Roberts <cro### [at] alleganisdorg> wrote:
> : <li>float: a decimal number
>
>   It can also be: A float in the format: <base>e<exponent>, eg. -1.23e-10,
> a float identifier and the return value of a float function.

What is the float function and how is it used? An example would
be nice.

> : <li>vector: in the format: <a, b, c> or just a. Each number is a
> : float. If the format is "a", that is equivalent to <a, a,
> : a>.
>
>   A vector can also be two, four and five-dimensional.

Under what conditions or POV statements would it be 4 or 5
dimensional? (Besides a color with the f and/or t parameters.)

>   A color component can be larger than 1 and smaller than 0 and still have
> a desired and considerable effect in the scene.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

>   There's no reason why one should limit the turbulence value to 0-1. Negative
> values and values larger than 1 can have a desired effect.

Thanks again.

>   Setting the ambient and similar values larger than 1 can have a considerable
> effect with things like fog, media, radiosity, etc.
>
>   Some values (such as 100.0) seem quite arbitrarily chosen. Where did you
> get those values?

They were arbitrary. I can remove the upper limits on some of
those commands.

--
See my Free stuff page. It compares free website providers, and
lists free internet access providers.

Win98 help file loaded with hints and tips, including securing a
Win 95/98 PC in a classroom setting. VB4 help file with lots of
code and hints.
At http://www.crosswinds.net/~robertsc/